Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Liberating the Libations

I have found a handy website to help me make sure the liquor, beer and wine I put into me is vegan. Now wine is pretty tricky due to the sulfates used in the fermentation process. But if any of you like me now read a lot of Veg News you have seen the adds for the Frey Winery. Now where I live work and play they are pretty reasonable for a bottle. (Last time I checked under 20), they are sulfate free and wonderful additions if you have friends over for grilling. (See if they wont bring the wine since you will be hosting and cooking.) I've had the Merlot with some large portabella caps my dad found at our local Sam's Club off the grill and it was a great pairing. I however stick to reds so you might not hear me talk about anything other then Shiraz and Merlot. These are also good to keep around to marinate different veg and fruits for different salads and soups.

If wine isn't your thing there is a great variety of liquor out there that can be added to other things to make a great punch or mixed drink, or if your style is straight up the get your shot glasses ready to pour. In my age range of 21-30 we tend to buy the cheapest of the cheap because its quick, effective and gets you right and toasty fairly quickly. I how ever beg you, do yourself and your liver a favor and when you have the money splurge or even pool your money if its going to be a night of quarters and circle of death. Skip the Popov and go for the Smirnoff. In my area we discount liquor warehouses that do nothing but try to compete with each other on the prices of there booze. Now I know in area's where there is only state stores and beer in the super markets this isn't as easy as it is for me to go to my Local Joe Canal's and pick up a half gallon of the poison of choice. This is where the tool your using right now this very second comes in handy. With a little research and a valid card and a state that lets you ship you can order a good bit of things off line. So say you see an amazing deal in one of the many web stores based out of New Jersey you can take advantage of it and order what you might want or need fr your pantry.

The three I tend to keep around are Rum, Irish Whiskey and Vodka. I'm not much for Tequila but that may be because I've just never wanted to drink it. I even before going vegan stayed away from cream based things because they just clogged up the works. Though by the end of this year I will have my vegan Irish Cream down pact I swear it. Rum I tend to mix with wholefoods ginger ale as a treat once in a blue moon. But if your going for broke cheap ginger ale or Sprite will work in a mix that makes it taste like cream soda (one of my favorites before I gave up soda). I'm planing to try it with lime sparking mineral water and will update on that taste when I have consumed it.

Now beers are tricky, we all have our favorites. These three things being something I refuse to skimp on so I tend to drink sparingly and when I do I splurge. Normally when I've made a little extra one week I'll buy me a 6 pack to sip on for a few weeks when I've had an extra hard day at work. I for one love lagers or stouts but there are not many that are vegan friendly. I've used this list to give me a great run down of the alcohols that are vegan consumable.

BARNIVOIR

They have helped end many arguments with my non vegan friends and even turn them onto some good curlity free libations.

So now hopefully if your drink of choice is the Hipsters PBR or the Sharp choice of Red Stripe or even then down home boy's choice of a Bud you can find out if your cheap or pricey drinks are as vegan as you.

Happy Drinking.

No comments:

Post a Comment