Monday, June 28, 2010

HYP Parties

OK guys I know you probably like flexing your cooking skills like I do for my friends. Its a lot easier then you think even with very little money and I have a few good ideas On what you guys can serve.

Silly little simple HYP Party tips:

Not to different then the everyday. Bulk is as always a friend as are Canned beans and sale coupons.

Bulk TVP and Nutritional Yeast are a good things that with the right this and that (which I'll be sharing) can lead to some kick ass taco's.

BBQing is fun and can be cheap and tasty too. They are also not just guy's fun I did a dinner party recently for my friends who were all meat eaters and they loved the vegan sides I made a bit more then the chicken that was there for them.


So first the True Blood Taco's

These were had by the Papoose and me for the True Blood season three premiere a few weeks ago.

So for the taco's you need:

A Cup of TVP (it will yield enough meat like filling for about 6 tacos which was three each for us since it had been so long since either of us had had a nice taco)

Two cups of Better then Bouillon Chicken style vegan broth (make sure it has the certified vegan logo if not walk away from the bouillon)

Half a packet of your favorite vegan taco seasoning mix ( I tend to stretch out this organic one I find at Whole Foods for for about a buck and a half. When I think of the name or get a new pack I will post it.)

A Pack of store bought taco shells.

Tofuttie Better then Cream cheese (trust me its weird but soooo good)

Some chopped up lettuce and tomato (seed the tomatoes you don't want your tacos squishy now,)

Combine the TVP with the broth let it start to come to a boil and add the taco seasoning and turn the heat down so it will simmer.

Give that about 5 minutes tops while you are waiting chop and seed your tomatoes and chop your lettuce. Get your Better then cream cheese out of the fridge if you already haven't (its best to soften it some easier to spread over the warm taco filling)

Once the filling is fluffy and has some sauce left in it pop the shells in the micro wave and follow the directions on the box for heating them. I like the crunchy ones always have so this is where we may differ but you can use either or if you can find it the taco shell bowls would be nice with some vegan refried beans on the bottom and make a better then Taco Hell taco salad.

All that's left is the filling and enjoying of your True Blood Tacos.

Next up A very nutty pie.

This came after being shown that I could eat some of the ready made pie fillings from DollarTree Then finding all these ingredients there as well. Would a store bought have been cheaper maybe but how much fun is that?

For Nutty Pie you will need to pick up:

Two packs of your favorite pre-chopped baking nuts that they carry. (I use slivered Almonds and Chopped Walnuts)

One can of Chocolate Creme Pie filling. (yes its vegan might not be good for you but its soooo good.)

Finally one graham cracker pie crust. (pre-made saves time and your already there what is 4 bucks if your doing desert for 1 or more people?)


If you follow the can and see how long the filling needs to set the one I get normally takes an hour. So make sure you have room in the fridge for a pie.

Dump the contents in the pie crust and spread evenly then add your nut topping. If you so wish and know a good way to make a cheap vegan whip cream you can also put this on your pie over the nuts and all and let it set in the fridge at least an hour overnight is best if you can resist the chocolaty temptations of the pie. I normally can't for more then two hours and end up eating it by my self during shark week in about two to three sittings. Hey look vegan food is delicious and normally better for you but we like to be fat just like everyone else once in a while too. What's the fun of life with out a little glutting?

No comments:

Post a Comment