Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Cooking Channel

OK so who has seen this new network that is like the young hipster brother to the FoodNetwork. I for one am enjoying it so far. Food Jammers has gotten my attention as has a few other shows.

So I guess that give us some time to talk about my favorite lazy hobbie and that's watching cooking shows. Like a lot of people I grew up watching Julia Child (hey she was on after Ghost Writer as was this old house), but once the food network came out I was enamored with hosts like Emaril and the Iron Chefs. But at 16 and being 450lbs I was knocked off my feet when i seen the raw chef Juliono on there. It was like this light had went off in my head and I had my mom hunt down his book but found it to expensive and settled for a young adult fiction book instead. But the seed had been planted. I knew deep down I hated scarfing double cheese burgers and wanted to be more like this waif like man with all his energy.

At 13 after years of watching Lisa Simpson on TV I had tried to become a vegetarian but my dad wouldn't hear anything of it. So after seeing Juliono I would go to the cook book section of out local Barns and Nobel. Now in 2002 there wasn't a lot of books that i knew of so I stuck to looking for anything with vegetarian in the title because I knew that word. It wasn't until Davey Havok and the east bay punk band AFI that was introduced to me by a member of the local punk band the Ghouls. That I learned Vegan. Next thing I was begging for my mom for the any cookbook with vegan on it and cooking us our first Tofurky for Thanksgiving. She liking it more then myself at the time. But I was determined I would be a vegan and I would be a damn good one.

And all of that takes us full circle to here and now and the Cooking Channel Not only does it show how adorable Morimoto was before coming to America. They did a show on just Veg eating called the Veg Edge. I adored it and it made me feel like I shouldn't have left this poor blog to dust up as I have over the past few months. They also cover foods that you normally don't see on Foodnetwork. They have two Indian based cooking programs, A French Cooking show hosted by a wonderfully cute and quirky woman. Over all the Channel I find a lot more enjoyable then Foodnetwork. Not that I don't still have my favorites there. FYI I know none of us could afford one but Charm City cakes is now offering a Vegan option on their amazing and fun cake.

Recipes coming soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment