Thursday, April 14, 2011

Veg News

Ok so to anyone that reads this and cares. And doesn't know yet. VegNews the nation's leading Vegan food rag. Has been caught in using stock that is nonvegan. As a vegan food blogger I feel the need to talk about these issues from time to time. (since I do ration myself their mag in my food bill a month) and my conclusion is such. Who gives a wet fart. I mean my only concern is well do they test the recipes they are writing or are they just things from old cook books or people they know that pop in and say hey blah blah blah blah.

Pictures give a dish credibility and show that yes you can make this. You might be covered in flour and sweet potato at the end but you can make it. But if there are doctored pictures it leads me to question where the ideas no matter how tasty do they get them from. I pride myself in telling you all where mine come from. (its not just all glitter and unicorns in my pretty little head here.) The who what where and whys might be grey but pictures make it look like you aren't just copying things form post punk kitchen or other vegan blogs out there.

This is however not a reason to cancel a subscription. With out VegNews would our community have the press it does? Would we have the voice we do here in the states? I regrettably think not. See VegNews was something when i started in my weird vegan journey that made me know there were others like me out there. Made me know to look in my local cities and that there was a bigger community other then the few band people here and there that I heard of or all the crazy PETA Vegans (I used to do work with PETA its why I say they are crazy. Lovable but crazy). It was like having a community in my hands before we had SmartPhones and things like that. It gave me the same warm and fuzzies my favorite punk zines did when I first discovered them.

So to the vegans that might read this. To the vegans that might want to cancel on this mag. ARE YOU FUCKING STUPID! If you do that they loose money and we loose a great mag that been around for 11 years. Is that something you want? Instead of somehow trying to find ways for this all to work in their dead lines and all (Which from a designer's standpoint is sooooo not easy more then once I've had to do the same but not for this blog but clients at their request.) Sometimes its a lot easier to get images off line then to have a full day photo and prep session (I've worked on one for Veggie Lean products and let me tell you its a bitch.) They can be hassles and if you have a good graphics team which they obviously do. Its easier. Trust me on the outside a vegan crab cake and real one look 100% identical. Even on the inside as well. (That's sounding good right now... Posable next recipe) The fact remains that They were doing what was best and think hard cold you really tell? Was their response flimsy well yes, but that's a PR problem and they hopefully will see that. So lets just move on and keep going. We need to move as a community and as a movement if we want others to join us and not think we are all PETA drones.

No comments:

Post a Comment