Saturday, April 9, 2011

I'm a Greens and Potatoes Vegan

So there are meat and potatoes people why can't there be greens and potatoes vegans. I love my greens and I love the heavy feeling of a good potato dish in my tummy too. And since i've been so busy in the kitchen and found my camera we have photo evidence of my cooking skills.

First up a Garlicy Kale Salad inspired by one i had at WholeFoods when out to lunch with my dad. This pairs really well with some grilled portabella caps.

So what you will need is if your me and like to munch on it a lot is.

2 to 3 lbs of fresh raw kale.
1/2 cup of tahini
1 tsp of liquid aminos
1/4 cup of raw apple cider vinegar
2 Tbs of lemon juice
2 tsp black pepper
1Tbs of crushed up Nutritional Yeast ( crush mine between my palms and it easily becomes a fine powder)
Use extra garlic if you taste it and want more. I added extra granulated garlic and it tastes divine to me.

So the easy part first the dressing for this salad.  Mix everything but the Kale in a bowl and whisk with a fork.
(i was eating my breakfast of a pear while making this.)

Then chop up your fresh raw kale.
Once your done mix in a large enough bowl then either serve and enjoy immediately or refrigerate to enjoy and let the dressing and kale mix for later do not let it get past two days (not that it will last that long).

Next our potato dish. Vegan cheesy pantry potatoes.

For this to start pre heat your oven to 350 or 375, then gather your needed ingredients. 

1 small or medium onion.
2 small or medium sweet potatoes
2 medium or large russet potatoes
1 skillet. 
1 baking dish
1 1/2 cups to 2 of Nutritional Yeast
1/2 to 3/4 of a cup of almond milk
1 Tbs of ground chia seed (i grind my own)
1 Tbs of corse salt to grid with the Chia seed (i use pink salt)
2 tsp of chili powder
1 to 1 1/2 Tbs of granulated garlic
2 tsp of black pepper



If you are grinding your own seed I would get how you are grinding set up first and with the seed and salt in it. After you are done that slice your onion and get it in the skillet with some olive oil. Then slice and add the sweet potatoes and let them cook as you either start to grind or grind all your seeds. once they are partially cooked and soft put them in the  baking dish and start your russets having also sliced though as you waited.

As you wait for the russets to cook through mix your slurry to go over it putting all the dry and crushing the Nutritional Yeast to a fine powder before adding it to your mix. Once that is all combined add your almond milk and whisk with a fork till smooth the chia seed will help it get thick.


Once the potatoes are ready add them to the dish and pur the slurry over it.


Bake for 45 minutes to an hour. Till golden brown and delish.
Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Hi! Ok, so I'm the best friend/blood sis here of Ebon, as mentioned in the "bagel sandwich" idea, to tell ya wonderful HYP people what I think of this recipe. :) VERY TASTY, and my kitty cat Tai literally pawed at one of the potatoes, thus rendering it hers, and she actually ate it. Usually cats hate spicy foods, my cat for some reason LOVES THEM, just like me :).

    I did a cup of almond milk instead as it was a little too thick for my tastes, I kept everything else the exact same with the exception of using a yam (the market was outta sweet potatoes :'() and I used no onion. Onion, sadly, stays with me forever so I eat it sparingly when I wanna torture myself :P.

    I must say, and this is coming from a meat eater and hard core cheese fanatic, that the slurry definitely is texture wise like real melted cheese and milk. It was a bit spicy for my tastes concerning traditional au gratin but considering what we're working with here on a vegan scale, I say the spices add a spicy "nacho cheese" flavor to it which compliments the sweetness of the yam(potato) and nutty robust flavor of the nutritional yeast very well. I honestly can't imagine it being better any other way. I'd say for spice sensitive people ease up on the pepper if you're concerned about the "heat". I used an exotic pepper mix which has a grinder built into the shaker so I got some fresh potent spice going on there.

    I used an 8x8 casserole dish and used one long thin yam and 2 medium sized russets. I even over baked the darn thing as I was cleaning up my mess and totally forgot about it lol and it came out crispy but not burnt or over done. I actually prefer my potatoes with a crisp edge to them. If you don't, stir the goolash after maybe 20-30 minutes. Definitely bake it for an hour if you slice the potatoes 1/4 an inch like I did. I like hardy potatoes.

    Ummmm.....hmmm, what else....well my tummy agrees with it. That's hard to come by, so over all I will be making this again. Next time I am going to make it for my vegan friends here in Ithaca and spoil them! :) Then they'll be knocking down Ebon's door wanting to start some vegan cooking club lol. I can totally see that happening as all of my vegan friends cook a lot, where as, I am the odd duck out and both not vegan and a baker type. Although I bake vegan, non vegan, gluten free or any combination of those. On that note, I'm out. MAKE THIS RECIPE, definitely fun and worth it.

    ReplyDelete