Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Comfort Dinner

OK so today I had the shit kicked out of me at my job and outside of being with my group of friends I've really had better weekends. Seeing this and my lacking a lot of things I decided to have my grandma teach me one of my favorite things to eat. Cabbage and Bow-ties. I followed it up with some Peanut butter cup brownies.

Grandpa Andy's Cabbage and Bow-Ties

1 medium to small head of Cabbage
1 bag of vegan friendly bow ties. (I will be playing with pasta this summer as something to make and add to the blog so I may have more for you in the ways of pasta)
1 1/2 sticks of vegan butter (you know the only stick brand there is and should be a pantry staple even with the cost you can look at some of your local market's vegetable spreads some of them are vegan last i checked my local ShopRite's was. I will get back to you on this)
About 1/2 to a cup of water.
2  good sized pots.

To start chop your cabbage and put your water for your noodles on. Once your partially chopped put your butter in the free pan and let it start to melt. Next toss the chopped bits into the buttered pan. The butter should be half to almost all melted it best if its still melting as you put in the cabbage. Once all the cabbage is in measure out a cup of water and add anywhere from a half to 3/4 of the cup of it. Just enough to help make it saucy and steam. Lid the cabbage and keep an eye on it. Roughly around the time the water starts to boil and the pasta has been dropped the cabbage should be almost cooked well enough. A note your making it tender in the butter and water not cooking the hell out of it a bit of bite to some of the more thicker rib bits is fine. They will soften a bit more as it keeps cooking and once your drop and combine the pasta once its cooked into it.

So once the pasta is done, drain take it off the heat and combine it with the cabbage and you have a delicious comfort dish of carby goodness.

Now Desert!

Peanut Butter Cup Brownies

Now I like things from scratch but I also love convenience so this is more on the later end of things I love. I also don't tend to cook with measurements and more in approximates like I was taught by my parents and grand parents but they always have a approximate point.
For these you will need the following.

1 Box Duncan Hinse Dark chocolate brownie mix
1/4 to a 1/2 cup of apple sauce.
1/2 cup of almond milk
2 tsp of oil (anything that has a mild flavor and wont alter the brownies)
3-4 heaping Tbs spoons (the metal ones you eat with) of peanut butter melted.
Mixing bow
Whisk
Baking Pans or Muffin Pans

Dump the box into the mixing bowl and put the peanut butter in the microwave for about 1 minute till melted and smooth. Combine the apple sauce, almond milk, oil and peanut butter then whisk till smooth. Place in greased baking pans in a pre heated oven for 35- 45 minutes checking the center with a tooth pick and once clean pull out and let cool some before cutting and enjoy with some tea or a nice glass of almond milk and have a nice comfort snack.

No comments:

Post a Comment