Friday, May 21, 2010

Hungry Young and Poor

This being our initial blog together I wanted to introduce myself and let everyone know about me and how we will be going over the adventures of cooking vegan on the tightest budget I can think of. $7.25 minimum wage an hour on less then 40 hours a week. Now before you think this is someone looking for sympathy, its not.

In 2008 I was a a recent art school grad but like a lot of people in my class work came well... very hard or never. So after my dad lost his job about a month after my graduating I pushed aside my dreams of going to L.A. and becoming a graphic designer. Sadly my only job at the time was working at a liquor store. Though I had been there for years they refused to pay me more and i was already working mine and the other guy that had just quit shift. So I kept looking for anything that would work in my Field. Nothing did. So I became depressed and started questioning myself my life and my choices. Like a lot of people who came out in 2008 we felt the crush of the economic downturn and wanted to do something with our lives. That something didn't include my regimen of eating vegan junk food and watching Planet Green 24/7 and wishing I could cook more things from Whole Foods like Chef Emeril.

So after two years and still working retail, though no longer in liquor I decided to change things. A lot of people when they find out I'm vegan wonder how I do it. How i actually make things work on the money I have and living with two people that aren't vegan.

The answer is normally its not easy. But food is a passion of mine. Trust me one can't have gotten to my weight in high school with out food being a passion. It hasn't changed just because I changed to a curtly free lifestyle. I still watch the Food Network on my times off and kinda drool or sit and think, "Well I can make that and use this for that and that for this.".

I have a binder filled with recipes I've either tired or want to that I've gathered from different places on line and VegNews that I want to turn into easy ways for a single vegan to cook them.

So in the long and short of it this is going to be a shared culinary adventure, not that it will all be about food. I want to let people know how I've lived on this little of a budget and been happy with it all, (well except the fact that WalMart becomes more of an annoying friend then a hated foe). So hopefully we can share some tips and laugh at some of the weird things I come up with.

So what do you say, shall we cook?

No comments:

Post a Comment